Hot Dog Buns Recipe
This recipe has been in my family for years. Store-bought buns just can't compete with these homemade ones. The dough is made ahead and rises in the refrigerator.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Caraway, poppy or sesame seeds
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add 2 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the remaining water and sugar, milk, shortening, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a 5-in. x 2-in. roll. Place 4 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Beat egg and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with caraway, poppy or sesame seeds. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 332 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 421 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC