- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and 3 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in the currants, raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into 30 balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cut a cross on top of each roll with a sharp knife. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat water and egg yolk; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks. For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Hot Cross Buns
Sort By :
These were light and delicious - and the currents were a nice touch.
I had actually never had Hot Cross Buns before, but my husband has asked for them often. I don't care for raisins, but I made them just with currants and they were absolutely WONDERFUL! We'll have them again and again!