Hot Cross Buns with Citrus Icing Recipe
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 18 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place in two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each roll. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk and water; brush over buns. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; pipe crosses onto rolls. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Hot Cross Buns in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p11
Reviews for Hot Cross Buns with Citrus Icing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2010
"I make these every Easter...they are moist and delicious"