- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter, raisins, egg, salt and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 portions. Shape each into a ball. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Remove from the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a piping consistency. Pipe an "X" on top of each bun. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Hot Cross Buns(4)
Sort By :
These are really good! So moist and delicious.
These 5 stars go with the previous rating! My mother just asked for the recipe as well.
I made these for Good Friday and Easter. They are fabulous! Easy to make and delicious! I am making them again this weekend just because! I adapted the recipe for my breadmakeer and used craisins instead of raisins. Delicious!
A crucial word left out in the recipe...in first paragraph...add enough FLOUR to form a soft dough. Great recipe!!!! Delicious!!! Thank you!!!