Hot Crab Spread
After my mother and sister described the hot crab sandwiches they had eaten at a San Francisco restaurant, I developed this recipe. It's become a family favorite, especially during vacations to the Oregon coast, where we can catch fresh crabs.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic,
- cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; add
- mayonnaise. Stir in cheese. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or
- until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in crab; cover and cook 1 hour longer or until heated through.
- Serve spread warm with crackers. Yield: 6 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 79 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.