Hot Corn Bread
I first tasted this bread when we visited some good friends in Arkansas in the early '70's. I have made it on many occasions since then, particularly for card club and church functions. I enjoy my job as postal clerk at our local office, and spending time with our two children and five grandchildren.
16-20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, beat eggs. Add buttermilk, corn, oil, cheese and peppers.
- Combine cornmeal, baking soda and salt; stir into egg mixture. Pour
- into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30
- minutes. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 115 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.