Hot Cocoa Souffle Recipe
A friend invited me to go to a cooking demo at her church years ago, and one of the recipes prepared was this luscious souffle. It was so easy—and absolutely delicious. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 5 eggs
- 4 teaspoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Separate eggs; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 2-qt. souffle dish with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with 4 teaspoons sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the cocoa, flour, salt and remaining sugar. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in butter. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Add vanilla; cool slightly.
- 4. In another large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- 5. Transfer to prepared dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 272 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 188 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC