Hot Cider with Orange Twists
"I first tasted a steaming mug of this comforting beverage on a frigid evening," recalls Catherine Allan of Twin Falls, Idaho. "It's still a family favorite on a wintry day."
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 2 quarts apple cider or juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 unpeeled fresh orange slices (1/4 inch thick)
- 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- Additional orange slices and cinnamon sticks
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Push two
- cloves through each orange slice. Push a cinnamon stick through the
- center of each orange slice; add to cider mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours or until heated through. Discard
- oranges, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Stir cider before serving. Use
- additional oranges and cinnamon sticks to make orange twist
- garnishes. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 127 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.