- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Baking cocoa or confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Generously grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Beat first seven ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Add to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55-65 minutes. Cool in pan 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely. If desired, dust with cocoa. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Hot Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
"My husband gives it a 4, because while chocolate chips make everything better, this wasn't an all-chocolate dessert. I thought it was a delicious cake (5 stars) but the chocolate chips were an unnecessary taste distraction and brought it down to a 3. So, 3.5.I liked the chipotle a lot! I also added 1/2 tsp. ginger and 1/4 tsp. ground cloves to echo the pumpkin pie theme.A few days later, we've both changed our minds. The cake's spice and chocolate flavors have mellowed and blended. That means I like it better than I did, while my husband's not as fond of it as he was on its first day. No change to the rating, but the evaluators have flip-flopped. (Of course, if there are more than two in your family you may never find out how the blending of the flavors works for you.)"
"love, love, love this cake. got rave reviews from the friends I shared it with."