Hot Chocolate Cake Balls Recipe
Serve these chocolaty delights and everyone will know yours isn't an ordinary holiday party. The little cakes are festive, fun and yummy. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds white candy coating, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Baking cocoa
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, coffee, oil and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add marshmallow creme; beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle. Shape into 1/2-in. balls; arrange on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar and cocoa until combined. Beat in milk and vanilla until smooth. Crumble cake into bowl; mix well.
- 4. Shape 1 tablespoon cake mixture around a marshmallow ball. Return to baking sheets. Repeat with remaining cake mixture and marshmallow balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5. In a microwave, melt candy coating and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cake balls in coating; allow excess to drip off. Return to baking sheets; let stand until set. Dust tops with cocoa. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cake ball equals 194 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC