Hot Cherry Sauce
This sweet-tart cherry sauce with a hint of cloves is just delightful. I use it with ham, but it also works beautifully as a dessert sauce.
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- Drain cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside. In a large
- saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cloves; whisk in
- reserved cherry juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes
- or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cherries and food
- coloring if desired. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 86 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.