- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each serving):
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the ice cream, cinnamon, nutmeg and extract. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze overnight. Makes 3-1/2 cups mix.
- To prepare hot drink: Dissolve 3-4 tablespoons of mix in boiling water; stir well. Yield: 14-18 servings.
Reviews for Hot Buttered Rum Mix
Sort By :
"We really enjoyed this recipe! I thought it was easy to put together, the temperature was perfect, and the flavors were great. It's not the kind of thing I could drink often, but my husband and I enjoyed sharing the occasional glass on cool nights."
"We make this for Christmas and we love it and our friends love it..its a great alternative to hot chocolate! Perfect for cold nights!"
"I like the flavor of this recipe, but whenever I make it according to the directions it is at best lukewarm instead of hot. I find it necessary to let the mixture come to room temperature before mixing beverages or even warm the mixed beverage in the microwave before serving. Do not add rum or alcohol before microwaving; add that as the last step."
"<p>I'm not going to rate because I haven't tried it, but Southern Living had a good Hot Buttered Rum recipe--with real rum--in a 1982 (I think, it might have been older like me) Christmas cookbook. I thought it was too sweet, so I just left out the powdered sugar and it tasted much better to me and didn't leave a coating in my mouth. It was more like a pound of butter, a box of brown sugar, a box of powdered sugar (which I omitted the second time I made it), a gallon of good French vanilla ice cream and I believe whipping cream. I'd like some right now!</p>"
"This was honestly the first disgusting thing I have tried from Taste of Home. And I have made hundreds of their recipes! Far, far too sweet and it just was a big waste if ingredients."