Allene Bary-Cooper, Wichita Falls, Texas writes, “This decadent dessert is a taste of Heaven. The hot mixed berry topping seeps through the brownie layer into the cool vanilla ice cream for a zippy chilled cake. Yum!”
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 carton (1-3/4 quarts) reduced-fat no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream, softened
- BERRY SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Prepare brownie mix using water, applesauce, oil and eggs. Bake according to package directions; cool completely on a wire rack.
- Crumble brownies into 1-in. pieces; sprinkle half into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray. Spread evenly with ice cream. Press remaining brownie pieces into ice cream. Cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer 5 minutes before serving. For sauce, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, honey, lime juice, vinegar, cinnamon and cayenne. Add berries; cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Cut cake into squares; top with hot berry sauce. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Hot Berries 'n' Brownie Ice Cream Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2007, p34
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Hot Berries 'n' Brownie Ice Cream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review