Hot Bacon Macaroni Salad
Start your picnic right with this delicious macaroni salad. It's loaded with diced veggies and bacon, and coated with a zesty dressing similar to one you'd use for German potato salad. —Kay Bell, Palestine, Texas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. In the same
- skillet, saute mushrooms in drippings until tender; remove with a
- slotted spoon. Add the sugar, flour, salt and pepper to the skillet;
- gradually stir in vinegar until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and
- stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, onion and
- celery. Drizzle with vinegar mixture. Add mushrooms and bacon; toss
- to coat. Garnish with radishes and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.