Hot and Zesty Quinoa Recipe
“I created this healthy whole grain side to serve my family instead of potatoes or rice. It’s so easy and has a little kick. Quinoa’s a nurturing grain and a complete protein.” —Sandra Letizia, Providence, Rhode Island
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chopped marinated quartered artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes and green chilies. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in quinoa and artichoke; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup equals 135 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 361 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC