Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
- 3/4 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-1/2-inch x 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Finely chopped green onions
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown pork in oil until no longer pink; remove meat and keep warm. Add mushrooms; saute until tender. Set aside and keep warm.
- 2. Add the broth, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Return the meat and mushrooms to the pan. Stir in the tofu, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and vinegar. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in sesame oil. Garnish servings with onions. Yield: 6 servings (about 2 quarts).
1-1/2 cups: 240 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 1779mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Hot and Sour Soup
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.