- same pan, saute onions, garlic and jalapeno in remaining oil until
- tender, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, wine, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard,
- vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cumin and bay leaves. Add
- lamb. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 hour.
- Rearrange shanks so the top ones are on the bottom. Simmer 1 hour
- longer. Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients.
- Transfer shanks to a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Brush with some of the glaze. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Turn
- and brush with glaze; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat from the cooking juices. Discard
- bay leaves. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 5 minutes to reduce
- slightly. Serve with shanks. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 507 calories, 22 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 906 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.