Hot 'n' Spicy Lamb Shanks Recipe
- 4 lamb shanks (about 12 ounces each)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 to 3 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown lamb shanks, two at a time, in 3 tablespoons oil. Remove meat and discard drippings. In same pan, saute onions, garlic and jalapeno in remaining oil until tender, scraping up any browned bits.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, broth, wine, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cumin and bay leaves. Add lamb. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 hour. Rearrange shanks so the top ones are on the bottom. Simmer 1 hour longer. Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients.
- 3. Transfer shanks to a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Brush with some of the glaze. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Turn and brush with glaze; bake 5 minutes longer.
- 4. Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat from the cooking juices. Discard bay leaves. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 5 minutes to reduce slightly. Serve with shanks. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 507 calories, 22g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein .
Reviews for Hot 'n' Spicy Lamb Shanks
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.