Hot 'n' Spicy Lamb Shanks Recipe
The first time I made this dish, I was planning a special evening with my boyfriend. I was completely unaware that he, too, had special plans for that evening-a proposal! Joylyn Trickel
- 4 lamb shanks (about 12 ounces each)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 to 3 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown lamb shanks, two at a time, in 3 tablespoons oil. Remove meat and discard drippings. In same pan, saute onions, garlic and jalapeno in remaining oil until tender, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, wine, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cumin and bay leaves. Add lamb. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 hour. Rearrange shanks so the top ones are on the bottom. Simmer 1 hour longer. Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients.
- Transfer shanks to a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Brush with some of the glaze. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Turn and brush with glaze; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat from the cooking juices. Discard bay leaves. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 5 minutes to reduce slightly. Serve with shanks. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hot 'n' Spicy Lamb Shanks in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p125
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hot 'n' Spicy Lamb Shanks(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review