Hot 'n' Sour Shrimp Recipe
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 small cucumber, seeded and sliced
- Hot cooked spaghetti, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients until smooth; set aside. In a skillet or wok, heat oil; stir-fry red pepper and mushrooms for 4 minutes. Add the shrimp, garlic and pepper flakes; stir-fry 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add cucumber; cook and stir 1 minute longer or until heated through. Serve with spaghetti if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 159 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 168 mg cholesterol, 657 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.