Hot 'n' Hearty Ham Subs
People like the melding of melted cheese, juicy meat and crunchy bread in this main dish. I suggest varying the taste of my sandwiches by occasionally substituting a different cheese—for example, cheddar—for the mozzarella and adding pepperoni for more zest.—Heidi Doudna, Fairbanks, Alaska
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 submarine or hot dog buns, split
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Combine the butter, garlic powder and oregano; brush on cut sides of
- buns. Place on a baking sheet; broil 4 in. from the heat until
- golden brown, about 2 minutes. In a bowl, combine mayonnaise,
- mustard and Worcestershire sauce; stir in the ham. Spoon about 1/3
- cup onto each bun bottom; sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Broil
- 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Replace bun tops.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 720 calories, 37 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,651 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein.