Hearty meat and potato lovers in your family will be happy to indulge in the Horseshoe Sandwich. Our recipe used the classic ham steak, but hamburger patties are a popular alternative. Even though the sandwich is topped with a homemade cheese sauce, the blue plate special only takes 30 minutes to make.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups frozen French-fried potatoes
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup beer, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 fully cooked boneless ham steak (1 pound), cut into 4 pieces
- 4 slices Texas toast or other white bread, toasted
- Cook potatoes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small
- saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard
- and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil,
- stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in cheese until blended. Stir in beer
- and Worcestershire sauce; heat through.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham; cook 1-2 minutes