The combination of mustard and horseradish gives this flavorful sauce just the right amount of zip. It's perfect for spicing up all kinds of beef.—Jim Cosgrove, Burlington, Ontario
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; add the seasonings, horseradish and lemon juice. Serve over roast beef or spread on beef sandwiches. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Originally published as Horseradish Sauce in Taste of Home August/September 1996, p47
Reviews for Horseradish Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 2, 2008
"Ground Pickled Beets added"