Horn Walnut Cookies Recipe
You need just a few ingredients to make these elegant and delicious walnut horns from Loretta Stokes of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. “The dough can be made ahead of time and refrigerated 5 to 7 days,” says Loretta.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min./batch YIELD:48 servings
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon butter, softened, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups ground walnuts
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour, beating until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough into four portions; roll each into a 12-in. circle.
- 2. Melt the remaining butter. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, 3/4 cup sugar, milk, vanilla, salt and melted butter. Spread over circles. Cut each into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges, starting from the wide ends.
- 3. Place point side down on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
- 4. Place remaining sugar in a small shallow bowl. Roll warm cookies in sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie equals 144 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC