Horn of Plenty Pie Recipe
I've been making this pie for 24 years, especially during the holidays. Since we live on Cape Cod, we have plenty of access to abandoned cranberry bogs.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 unpricked pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add the cranberries, raisins, walnuts and apple; cover and simmer for 15 minutes and berries have popped, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and salt. Spoon into pie shell.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Pour over hot filling, sealing to edges of pastry.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 419 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Horn of Plenty Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC