- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 unpricked pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add the cranberries, raisins, walnuts and apple; cover and simmer for 15 minutes and berries have popped, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and salt. Spoon into pie shell.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Pour over hot filling, sealing to edges of pastry.
- Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Horn of Plenty Pie in Country December/January 1998, p49
Reviews for Horn of Plenty Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2012
"I love this pie. This is my most favorite. I had lost the recipe and have been searching under "cranberry" I didn't know it was called "Horn of Plenty". Finally after 2 years, I can have my pie again."