- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 unpricked pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add the cranberries, raisins, walnuts and apple; cover and simmer for 15 minutes and berries have popped, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and salt. Spoon into pie shell.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Pour over hot filling, sealing to edges of pastry.
- Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Horn of Plenty Pie in Country December/January 1998, p49
Reviews for Horn of Plenty Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2012
"I love this pie. This is my most favorite. I had lost the recipe and have been searching under "cranberry" I didn't know it was called "Horn of Plenty". Finally after 2 years, I can have my pie again."