The mixture of ground rice and almonds is accented with a hint of lime. Depending on your preference, you can use more or less water for a thinner or creamier beverage. —James Schend, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups blanched almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- Lime wedges, optional
- Place rice in a blender; cover and process 2-3 minutes or until very fine. Transfer to a large bowl; add almonds, cinnamon stick, lime peel and hot water. Let stand, covered, at room temperature 8 hours.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Transfer rice mixture to a blender; cover and process 3-4 minutes or until smooth. Add sugar; process until sugar is dissolved.
- Place a strainer over a pitcher; line with double-layered cheesecloth. Pour rice mixture over cheesecloth; using a ladle, press mixture through strainer.
- Stir in cold water. Serve over ice. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with lime wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Horchata in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p351
Reviews for Horchata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2014
"I love Horchata! I used it over my cereal, but I left out the lime."