- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef until no longer pink. Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Add all remaining ingredients except last two; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, adding macaroni for last half hour of cooking time. Stir in the beans and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hoosier Chili
Sort By :
I made some substitutions because i was trying to keep the sodium as low as possible, used low sodium V8 instead of tomato juice, turkey instead of beef, and vegtable broth instead of beef, and it still came out really well, i kinda surprised myself!
I did not see salmon fillets in the recipe. Everyone has a different way of making chili. I think the title is incorrect; as it implies that all Hoosiers make chili this way. Brown sugar should not be in chili-unless you are preparing Cincinnati 5 way chili.
what does salmon fillets have to do with this recipe. In the methods section. I assume this is a mistake.