Hoosier Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef until no longer pink. Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Add all remaining ingredients except last two; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, adding macaroni for last half hour of cooking time. Stir in the beans and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 4-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 230 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Hoosier Chili
"I made some substitutions because i was trying to keep the sodium as low as possible, used low sodium V8 instead of tomato juice, turkey instead of beef, and vegtable broth instead of beef, and it still came out really well, i kinda surprised myself!"