The crowd was abuzz at the sight of this striped sandwich at the Bee Tea theme luncheon I hosted. You could substitute chicken or tuna salad for the ham salad. For a large crowd, make a "swarm" of bees and offer several choices. -Sheila Bradshaw, Columbus, Ohio
- 1/2 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1 round Italian roll (6 inches)
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 8 to 10 drops yellow food coloring
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted large ripe olives, drained
- 1 pimiento strip
- 1 celery rib, cut into thirds
- In a bowl, combine the ham, mayonnaise, eggs, pecans, pineapple and honey until blended. Slice the loaf and roll in half horizontally. Cut a third off one end of the loaf; slice the smaller portion in half.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, cream and food coloring until light and fluffy. Spread over top of all bread sections and roll. Spread butter over the inside of bread sections and roll; fill with ham salad.
- To assemble, place large loaf piece on a serving platter or covered board for bee's body. Place roll next to body for head. For wings, position two small loaf pieces, rounded edges facing each other, above body.
- Set aside 12 whole olives. Slice remaining olives in half lengthwise; make strips on body with halved olives. Cut 11 olives into slices. Position one slice on head for eye; decorate wings with remaining slices. Add pimiento for mouth. Place last whole olive on one piece of celery; insert into top of head for antenna. Insert remaining celery into ham salad for legs. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Honeybee Ham Salad Sandwich in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p37
Reviews for Honeybee Ham Salad Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review