- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter, optional
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine butter, honey, egg, whole wheat flour, oats, salt, yeast mixture and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; shape into 15 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. If desired, brush with additional butter. Serve warm. Yield: 15 rolls.
Reviews for Honey Whole Wheat Rolls
"Delicious. Next time I would shape them into smaller rolls."
"Very good! I will use this recipe again."
"What delicious rolls!! They were not difficult to make for this first time wheat bread baker. This recipe will be one I will use again and again."
"Wonderful flavor and texture...recipe is very accurate...only downfall - ate way too much:) I plan to use this recipe often for our church dinners."
"I like this recipes because it's healthy and fast. Also it is just right for 2 people."
"Love, love, love these rolls! I usually add a little more whole wheat and a little less white flour, they still turn out fantastic!"
"I made these while visiting my family in CO...(I used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour and 1/8 cup more water.) They loved them and I will be making these again."
"It is delicious! I divided it into eight pieces and made sub rolls with it."
"Yum yum yum!! My family loved these. Serve them warm right out of the oven. I'll definitely be making these again."
"One of the very best whole wheat rolls ever! My family loved them. There will be no single batching in this house; double batches only!!!"