Honey Whole Wheat Pan Rolls Recipe
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons honey
- HONEY GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- 3. Divide dough into thirds. Roll each portion into a 20-in. rope. Cut each into 20 pieces; shape each into a ball. Grease three 9-in. round baking pans; arrange 20 balls in each pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream butter. Add honey; beat until light and fluffy. Remove rolls from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over warm rolls. Serve with honey butter. Yield: 5 dozen (1-1/4 cups honey butter).
1 serving (1 each) equals 114 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Honey Whole Wheat Pan Rolls
"I made these for Christmas dinner. I ground my own wheat flour which added to the texture. Everyone said they were the best rolls I have ever made. I have been making rolls for over 40 years, so that is quite the complement."