- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons honey
- HONEY GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into thirds. Roll each portion into a 20-in. rope. Cut each into 20 pieces; shape each into a ball. Grease three 9-in. round baking pans; arrange 20 balls in each pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream butter. Add honey; beat until light and fluffy. Remove rolls from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over warm rolls. Serve with honey butter. Yield: 5 dozen (1-1/4 cups honey butter).
Originally published as Honey Whole Wheat Pan Rolls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p18
Reviews for Honey Whole Wheat Pan Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 19, 2016
"This is definitely "a must try" bread recipe."