Honey Whole Wheat Loaves Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk powder, honey, wheat bran, wheat germ, flax, oil, salt, whole wheat flour and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spay. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 139 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
Reviews for Honey Whole Wheat Loaves
"This is the PERFECT wheat bread. It is not crumbly like normal wheat bread and it is absolutely delicious. This will be my new default wheat bread recipe. It should win an award. Oh, I substituted butter for the oil. Not a huge change, just thought it would be better."
"Wonderful whole wheat bread. Great texture and I love the fact that it's so nutritious!"
"This recipe was very easy to make and the results were great. My whole family liked it and it makes great toast! Will definitely be making this again."