Honey Whole Wheat Loaves Recipe
Turn out two beautiful golden brown loaves that make the perfect bread for a week of healthy sandwiches. —Robyn Lindberg, Kechi, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk powder, honey, wheat bran, wheat germ, flax, oil, salt, whole wheat flour and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spay. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 139 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC