Turn out two beautiful golden brown loaves that make the perfect bread for a week of healthy sandwiches. —Robyn Lindberg, Kechi, Kansas
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk powder, honey, wheat bran, wheat germ, flax, oil, salt, whole wheat flour and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spay. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Honey Whole Wheat Bread in Healthy Cooking April/May 2011, p60
Reviews for Honey Whole Wheat Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review