Honey Whole Wheat Braids Recipe
This hearty, wholesome bread has a slightly sweet taste from honey. I grind my own whole wheat to use in this recipe.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- All-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the honey, oil, milk powder, salt, 3 cups whole wheat flour and remaining water; beat for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a surface dusted with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six portions. Shape each into a 15-in. rope. Braid three ropes; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 107 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Honey Whole Wheat Braids
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC