- 2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- In a bowl, combine the water, 2 cups all-purpose or bread flour, yeast and sugar. Beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. (Mixture will be spongy.)
- Stir in the whole wheat flour, oats, milk powder, butter, honey and salt; mix well. Stir in sunflower kernels and as much of the remaining all-purpose or bread flour as you can with a spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Punch down and divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into two loaves; place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Cover with foil; bake 15 minutes longer. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Honey-Wheat Sunflower Bread
Sort By :
"This bread is moist and delicious...I decreased the sunflowers seeds to 3/4 cup and added about a 1/4 cup wheat berries. I also reduced salt by 1 teaspoon. Will make again!"
"This was a very pleasant bread. It was fun to make and tastes great. Has texture and was great toasted. Thank you."