Honey Wheat Sourdough Bread
We've been enjoying this slightly sweet bread on a daily basis for more than 10 years. A fellow teacher shared the recipe with me when my family lived in New York. I was sure to pack up the recipe when we headed west.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups Sourdough Starter (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Canola oil
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, honey,
- molasses, Sourdough Starter, wheat germ, sugar, baking soda, salt,
- whole wheat flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
- half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf