Honey Wheat Sourdough Bread Recipe
We've been enjoying this slightly sweet bread on a daily basis for more than 10 years. A fellow teacher shared the recipe with me when my family lived in New York. I was sure to pack up the recipe when we headed west.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups Sourdough Starter
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, honey, molasses, Sourdough Starter, wheat germ, sugar, baking soda, salt, whole wheat flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Brush with oil. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Honey Wheat Sourdough Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC