Honey Wheat Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm fat-free milk (110°-115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. In a large bowl, combine 1 egg, honey, mashed potatoes, butter, salt, whole wheat flour, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 balls. Roll each into a 7-in. rope. Holding one end of rope, loosely wrap dough around, forming a coil. Tuck end under; pinch to seal. Place in muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat remaining egg; brush over rolls. Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 roll: 146 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Honey Wheat Rolls
"These were very good. You can really taste the honey flavor. Accidentally added both eggs to the dough but I just added more flour and they turned out just fine. Made into the knots but I didn't put them into the muffin pans as I don't fancy cleaning them. I just put 12 on large cookie sheets and they came out beautifully. This receipe is going in the keeper book."
"These are so good that they are hard to keep around. They recieved a 10 out of 10 from friends and family!"