Honey Wheat Loaves Recipe
Great to give as a gift or accompany your Sunday dinner. This bread is tender and chewy with a hint of sweetness. Roger Hawley, Valley Park, Missouri
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 5 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2/3 cup honey, divided
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 6 to 8 cups bread flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon honey. Add the remaining water and honey, the oil, sugar, salt, whole wheat flour, wheat germ and 3 cups bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into four loaves. Place in 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (16 slices each) .
1 slice equals 108 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC