Honey Wheat Breadsticks Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed.
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 16 portions; shape each into a ball. Roll each into an 8-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 16 breadsticks.
1 each: 131 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Honey Wheat Breadsticks
"I always make these in my stand mixer with the dough attachment. Put dry ingredients in (including yeast), then add your water which should have oil & honey mixed in. Knead for 5 mins. To make overnight rolls, move dough ball to side of bowl & spray bowl with pan spray. Then spray top of dough, cover & refrigerate overnight. Next day put dough ball on lightly floured surface. Pat into a circle. Divide circle into half, then quarters, then into 16 pie shaped pieces. Flatten & roll up into crescents starting with wider end. Let rise about 30 mins."
"Maybe I did something wrong, but these turned out tough and had no honey flavour...."
"I don't have a bread machine so what I did is I heated the water first and mixed in the canola oil and honey so it had a chance to cool. Then I mixed the dry ingredients together. Make sure you let the water cool enough so it doesn't kill the yeast. I had to add a few extra tablespoons of flour, but they turned out great! I even turned a few into rolls and they tasted great too."
"I have made this receipe several times. My son & husband loves them. You can make them garlic sticks by omiting 1 TBSP honey & adding 2 tsp minced garlic to dough. Also can use garlic salt on tops."
"I would love to make these, but I don't have a bread machine...any suggestions."