- 1-1/3 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 16 portions; shape each into a ball. Roll each into an 8-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 16 breadsticks.
Reviews for Honey Wheat Breadsticks
"I forgot to mention that I usually use 1 c bread flour to 3 c Whole Wheat pastry flour. Sometimes 1c bread flour, 2c W.W. pastry flour, & 1 C regular W. Wheat flour. More nutritious & just as good! This is a very versatile recipe."
"I always make these in my stand mixer with the dough attachment. Put dry ingredients in (including yeast), then add your water which should have oil & honey mixed in. Knead for 5 mins. To make overnight rolls, move dough ball to side of bowl & spray bowl with pan spray. Then spray top of dough, cover & refrigerate overnight. Next day put dough ball on lightly floured surface. Pat into a circle. Divide circle into half, then quarters, then into 16 pie shaped pieces. Flatten & roll up into crescents starting with wider end. Let rise about 30 mins."
"Maybe I did something wrong, but these turned out tough and had no honey flavour...."
"I don't have a bread machine so what I did is I heated the water first and mixed in the canola oil and honey so it had a chance to cool. Then I mixed the dry ingredients together. Make sure you let the water cool enough so it doesn't kill the yeast. I had to add a few extra tablespoons of flour, but they turned out great! I even turned a few into rolls and they tasted great too."
"I have made this receipe several times. My son & husband loves them. You can make them garlic sticks by omiting 1 TBSP honey & adding 2 tsp minced garlic to dough. Also can use garlic salt on tops."