Honey Wheat Bread Recipe
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1. In a bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat milk, water, honey, butter and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moistened; beat on medium for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves; place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
One 1/2-inch slice (prepared with fat-free milk and margarine) equals 99 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 216 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.