- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat milk, water, honey, butter and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moistened; beat on medium for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves; place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Honey Wheat Bread
"This recipe is perfect for me. Very easy to make and turns out perfect every time. I added a little more salt to enhance the flavor. But other than that, it's perfect. I've made multiple batches and sliced and froze it and it thaws out perfectly. Our family goes through a lot of bread and it's great to have a wheat bread recipe that I can count on to come out perfect every time. Thanks!"
"Family loves this recipe"
"I've made this a few times and always find the dough sticky and the bread dry. I won't bother making it again."
"The dough didn't rise like it was supposed to. Not sure if I did something wrong. It doesn't look like the picture at all. But, it tasted good and worked well as toast. The kids also like it. So I will make it again."