- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat milk, water, honey, butter and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moistened; beat on medium for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves; place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Honey Wheat Bread
Sort By :
"Family loves this recipe"
"I've made this a few times and always find the dough sticky and the bread dry. I won't bother making it again."
"The dough didn't rise like it was supposed to. Not sure if I did something wrong. It doesn't look like the picture at all. But, it tasted good and worked well as toast. The kids also like it. So I will make it again."
"this is a hearty bread and best for a stew. It is not sandwich bread. I baked mine on parchment paper. Next time I would proof the yeast and then add the flour, then the milk mixture and see if it's any better. My husband loved the bread, but again it would be best w/a stew."
"This bread has all the flavor of a whole wheat bread but the lightness and rise-ability of a white bread. Slices beautifully and the recipe is perfect unlike 99% of the ones where I can always improve upon."