Honey Sweet Potato Biscuits
I make at least one batch of these hearty biscuits each week. They pair perfectly with soups, stews and even breakfast entrees!—Mary Ellen Swanson, Rainsville, Alabama
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl,
- whisk the buttermilk, sweet potato, butter and honey; stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll
- out to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit
- Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for
- 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 10 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 biscuit equals 185 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium,