Honey Spice Snack Cake Recipe
Our Test Kitchen staff relied on ground cloves, applesauce and honey to give this scrumptious spice cake its down-home goodness. The light airy treat is sprinkled with a little confectioners' sugar.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Whisk the egg, applesauce, oil and honey. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- 2. Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 181 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC