Honey Pumpkin Pie Recipe
"Bee" sure to serve the dessert here on Thanksgiving—it's the kind guests will be attracted to! "This pie pleases with the ever popular holiday flavor of pumpkin," assure Dorothy Smith of El Dorado, Arkansas, "only honey gives it a delicious twist."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- Pastry for a double-crust pie
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Trim and flute edges; set aside. In a bowl, combine the pumpkin, honey, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Add the eggs, evaporated milk and milk. Pour into crust. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 2. From the remaining pastry, cut out three 3-in. leaves and three 5-in. x 1/2-in. strips. Using a sharp knife, cut veins in leaves. Wrap each strip of dough around the handle of a wooden spoon; place spoons upside down on a baking sheet. Place leaves, vein side up, on the rounded side of spoons. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Arrange decorations on cooled pie. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 384 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 399 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC