Honey Potato Rolls Recipe
Made with mashed potatoes, these golden-brown goodies will complement just about any meal. I always included them as part of my holiday menu when my daughters were growing up, and now the girls carry on the tradition with their own families.—Myrna Wolfswinkel, Sheldon, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. YIELD:40 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the mashed potatoes, butter, honey, eggs, salt and 2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 40 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Divide between two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown; brush with melted butter. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 roll equals 123 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC