Honey Party Buns Recipe
I use this recipe often for church get-togethers. Finger sandwiches are popular at these events, so I make these golden buns small and add sandwich toppings. They're a big hit with everyone. -Ruth Linscott, Millfield, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:48 servings
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sliced ham, cheese and lettuce, optional
- 1. Place butter and honey in a large bowl; pour the boiling water over and set aside to cool to 110°-115°. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside. To honey mixture, add eggs, baking powder and salt. Add yeast mixture and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Make into small sandwiches, if desired, by filling with ham, cheese and lettuce, or serve plain. Yield: 4-5 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 115 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC