Honey-Oat Pan Rolls Recipe
- 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1. In a large bowl, mix 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, honey and 4 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 24 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over rolls. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 roll: 103 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Honey-Oat Pan Rolls
"I've been making these for years and they are always excellent. Will continue to make these for many years to come."
"Made these for dinner last night and they were delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out great. The only thing I did differently was to add some honey to the butter before brushing the tops at the end. We're a small family of three, so the extras are in the freezer for another meal or two."
"Awesome recipe, definately 5 starDefinately will be a family favorite!Even. 3 days after baking them they were delicious."
"I just made these rolls. Very good. I plan on serving them at Thanksgiving. Will make again."
"I like using oats and whole wheat flour in breads."
"I made these back in 2007 and rated them, "excellent"."
"Confused by recipe. Chose because it said only a single rise yet the recipe states 2 rises?"
"These were good, but I'm only giving them 4 stars because I did the dough in the bread machine and they really weren't as moist as I imagined them. Want to try them again going by the recipe and see if they're better then! But the flavour was really good."
"LOVE THESE ROLLS! YUMMY!"
"I love these pan rolls. I have been changing 1 cup whole wheat for 1 cup all purpose flour. Also I put in bread machine and set it to dough. When its finished I go back to recipe at punch down dough."
"The rolls were very tasty (esp. with some honey butter while they're still warm!)"