Honey-Oat Granola Bars
I found this recipe on one of our monthly Brown County REA newsletters. My husband and I eat a few of these bars each day. It’s a basic recipe to which you can add any of your favorite flavors…coconut, chocolate or different flavored chips, nuts or dried fruits.
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, peanuts, chocolate
- chips and sunflower kernels. Stir in the butter, honey and vanilla
- until combined (mixture will be crumbly). Press into a greased
- parchment paper-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Cool
- for 15 minutes on a wire rack; cut into squares. Cool completely
- before removing from pan. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 167 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.